Student Visa Requirements for Australia
Learn how to apply for a student visa in Australia!
The type of visa you require to study in Australia depends on the type of education you choose to pursue and the length of time you wish to remain in Australia, and you'll likely require a student visa (subclass 500). You can find out more about each type of student visa in Australia on the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website. Read on to know all about the visa requirements, cost, application process and more.
Table of contents
- Australia Student Visa Requirements
- Documents Required for Student Visa in Australia
- The Cost of a Student Visa in Australia
- Minimum IELTS Score for an Australian Student Visa
- Australia Student Visa Application Process
- New Rules for Australian Student Visas 2022
- Can you Work in Australia on a Student Visa?
- Making Sure your Visa Remains Valid
Australia Student Visa Requirements
Here's a rundown of everything you need to know about the requirements of the Australian student visa.
- A letter of acceptance from your university or organisation
- A Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) is a piece of paper your university issues to prove that you've been accepted into a certain program or class
- Language proficiency evidence, such as the IELTS test
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
- Evidence of financial resources and stability
- Character requirements
- Additional documentation, such as parental consent, may be required if you are under the age of 18
Documents Required for Student Visa in Australia
To apply for a student visa in Australia, you'll need to bring the following documents:
- Evidence of your academic accomplishments to date, such as degrees and certifications
- Proof of your command of the English language
- If you're looking for course credit, you'll need certificates or documentation that prove your previous studies or employment experience
Note: The information you need for your visa application will depend on your nationality and which course you wish to study.
The Cost of a Student Visa in Australia
The starting price for an Australian student visa is AUD$ 650.
Minimum IELTS Score for an Australian Student Visa
The minimum IELTS score for undergraduate and graduate studies in Australia is 6.5, with no band score below 5.5.
Australia Student Visa Application Process
To apply for a student visa and upload the required documents, you must first create an account in DIBP's online application system (ImmiAccount). Once your visa application has been submitted, you can check its progress via ImmiAccount.
You should submit your application no later than six weeks before your course starts, and no earlier than 12 weeks.
New Rules for Australian Student Visas 2022
- According to the new legislation, international students are not permitted to switch their majors without the minister's permission.
- If an international student is unable to finish their registered course at an Australian university within the visa validity due to this pandemic, they can apply for a student visa at no cost.
- As a result of COVID-19, the government will now count any online courses taken outside of Australia as per the Australian Study Requirement for both current and new students.
- Students who have completed their studies in Australia but are unable to enter the country due to international travel restrictions can now apply for a post-study work visa.
Can you Work in Australia on a Student Visa?
With a subclass 500 visa, students can work for up to 40 hours every two weeks once their course starts. Part-time jobs are an option for you, and they can be either on-campus or off-campus, depending on the rules at your educational institution.
Making Sure your Visa Remains Valid
Once you get your visa, there are a number of things you need to do to ensure it remains valid, including:
- Remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
- Provide your Australian address to your institution so they can contact you (don’t forget to let them know if you move)
- Continue to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia
- Don’t breach the working conditions that apply to your visa
If you want to change your qualification level, you will need to apply for a new student visa.
You can always come to us for a free counselling session where we can guide you on how to go about the entire visa application process.
Let’s get started
Sign up or login in with one click
View your shortlist or close this box to continue researching